“The New Now”
Fierce Femininity Flowers this Season along with Delicate and Daring Statements
Get ready for a season that is all about statement style with items that look new and feel decidedly modern! Your 2014 spring style forecast is here, courtesy of Arlene Goldstein, Belk’s vice president of trend merchandising and fashion direction. She’s predicting dazzling jewelry, standout shoes and must-have apparel items are sure to illicit “Oohs,” and “Aahs,” from those in the know and from those who can’t wait to find out what’s on the fashion horizon!
“Expect clothes that speak to the times,” says Goldstein. “Fierce femininity will be in full bloom with the perfect mix of delicate and daring. We’re also anticipating a new angle on style, offering a spectrum of shape shifts. These trends will be joined by chic twists on fashion and fabrics from exotic locations, whether you travel or not.”
Jetsetter – “As a style statement, “Jetsetter” always says “Yes,” to a tribal twist with a multi-cultural mix,” notes Goldstein. Neutrals, especially khakis and greens, need no introduction. Details include both utility and handcrafted elements such as zips, pockets, studs and grommets along with ornate embellishments, tassels, fringe and frayed edges. Jacquards, silks, sheers, linen and washed poplin are just a few of the textiles that inspire this indisputably cool glam gal. Artsy camo, lkats, new tropicals and scenics are some of the flawlessly executed patterns that add to the spirit of adventure that are so relevant to this trend. Layers of jewelry, natural leathers, burnished metals, embellished totes and new gladiators give this trend the polish and panache it definitely deserves, effortlessly chic and natural.
Cynthia Rowley - Split neck fit and flare floral printed dress
Feminine Charms - The season has gone girly with Feminine Charms. From ultra-romantic to the chic eccentric with a femme flare, this is a fashion story that delivers a dynamic aura. Expect looks to exude elegance with oversized ruffles, fit-and-flare silhouettes, appliqued petals and new, longer lengths. Heavy lace, luminescent layers and sheer fabrics easily finesse any look. Have a preference for prints? Florals are flawless along with dots, swirls and pattern mixes. Step into the limelight with add-ons that offer everything from whimsy to clever practicality. Not-so-proper pearls, floral motif jewelry, shiny gold finishes, chain bags, clutches and single-sole pumps are just a few essentials. From blush to fuchsia, the family of pinks become the pigment palette of choice for spring. Also among bold trends, navy is ready for a regal return. White, white, white is a given.
French Connection- Grace Knit Dress $148.00
Clean Slate - Clean Slate touts strong sculptural shapes and understated elegance, causing minimal chic to have maximum impact. Check out A-line silhouettes, asymmetric detailing and architectural lines. Anticipate an ultra-modern makeover with sportif touches that add an off-duty edginess. Textiles are interesting and innovative with cheer, metallic finishes and New Age synthetics that offer sleek chic at its best. Bold patterns blaze with photorealisms, stripes, color blocking, exaggerated geos and digital designs. The simplest ideas are the best. Anything graphic goes a long way. Black and white rules and looks newest with a pop of color. The accessories in Clean Slate say it all. Count on items with a contemporary feel. Mirror metallics, boxy shaped handbags (clutches, totes, satchels), strong cuffs and geometric pendants, multi rings, chunky heels and anything color blocked is strong and powerful. So take a risk and reinvent.
Rachel Roy- Colorblock dress
Interested in incorporating Arlene’s style statements into a few key updates for your spring wardrobe? Your seasonal style checklist is right here- the key items and ideas for spring. All perfect for “Modern. Southern. Style.”
It’s Belk’s Most Wanted List for Women from Arlene Goldstein, vice president of trend merchandising and fashion direction. (Men’s Most Wanted below.)
1. Sleeveless Jacket- This piece has simple, cool urban elegance. Moto detailing, classic denim styling or short and boxy—you decide. The options are endless.
Willow & Clay, $78 [All photos link to hi-res images]
2. Soft Pant- Spring’s favorite bottom is softly structured and comes in a range of prints and fabrications. We give you permission to wear pattern with pattern for a sophisticated spin, but keep it monochrome.
Romeo & Julie, $68
3. New Maxi- Not the time to skirt the issue. Find the perfect long skirt and add instant cool to your wardrobe. Gathers, slits and “Oh, wow!” prints guarantee the update.
Sunny Leigh Skirt, $58
4. Boxy Top- New shapes define the spring season and this item is one of the best. Easy and elegant, it complements and refreshes any bottom.
Vince Camuto, $69
5. Updated Jacket- From boyfriends to blazers and moto-inspired to bomber styles, the finished look is fabulous when you add a jacket.
Cloth & Stone Chambray Bomber Jacket, $98
6. Shift Dress- Chic, away-from-the-body silhouettes go from desk to dinner in a fashion minute. Lace, sheer insets and animal prints add the awesome. Dress up!
Vince Camuto, $69
7. Black & White- Go graphic with spring’s coolest color combo. Check out color blocking, banding, bold stripes and prints. Feel free to mix it up.
Romeo & Julie Printed Jumpsuit, $88
8. Layered Necklaces- More is more so dare to dazzle. Group unexpected strands for a look that’s uniquely you. Let the layering begin.
Vince Camuto, Brushed Gold Necklace, $108
9. Ladylike Handbag- Just hold it! Smaller framed satchels with a femme feel are chic and of the moment. A pop of bold color really works.
Michael Michael Kors, Selma Medium Satchel, $258
10. Chunky Heels- Blocked, stacked, up high, down low! Get ready for sturdier, kinder heels that are easy on the feet and the eye. Materials matter.
Michael Michael Kors Maribella Sandal, $165